As a United Methodist Church we don’t believe that we have any exclusive doctrines or beliefs. We have no affirmations or beliefs that conflict with most other Christian groups. However United Methodists do claim some of the following emphases in matters of faith and belief:
- We believe in the primacy of Holy Scripture, and that we attempt to grasp its meaning through an understanding of tradition, our personal experience, and through our ability to reason and think.
- We believe that God’s grace is available and sufficient for all and we lead with grace.
- We believe in the essential unity of our faith and our works as being vital to our spiritual lives.
- We believe that our salvation is both personal and social in nature.
- We believe in seeking a holiness of heart as well as a faithful living expression of our lives.
- We believe that we share a cooperative ministry with our communites as well as the world and that we work through a system of connectionalism with other people of faith.
- We believe that there needs to be a direct link between what we believe and how we live and act in the world.
- We believe that Baptism ushers us into the Christian community, that it can be practiced by several different methods, but that it only needs to occur only once in a person’s lifetime. There is no need to be re-baptized. We do offer many opportunites for people to re-commit their lives however.
- We believe that Holy Communion should be available to all who want to participate and so we practice an “open-table” approach.
- We believe that as children of God our hearts our minds and our doors need to be open to everyone around us.
- We believe that when a person wishes to join our church they need to be ready to faithfully participate in its ministries by their prayers, presence, gifts, service, and their witness of faith in the world.
If you’d like to know more about the United Methodist Church click here.
If you’d like to ask a specific question about the UMC and receive a response click here or call the UMC Infoserve service at 1-800-251-8140.